Candy Dish Using the Hex N More Ruler from Jaybird Quilts

The Hex N More ruler by Jaybird Quilts arrived in the shop yesterday. I took it home with the Candy Dish pattern, cut the project out and sewed the top to completion (after dinner too!) It takes a lot to motivate me to sew in the evening after a long day at work. Once I got started I couldn’t stop!

Candy Dish uses 16 charm squares and two strips of fabric to make the small background triangles. I did this top with a French General pack I had in my stash and the Robert Kaufman Cotton Linen Chambray. It’s a gorgeous combination but… piecing small triangles of oh-so-stretchy-linen was’t a very well thought out selection!

Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts designed the ruler along with 4 new patterns that use it:

• Candy Dish - 16″ Square Pillows
  • Tasty - Table Runner
  • Wonton - Quilt in Baby, Lap and Twin
  • Northern Lights - Quilt in Baby, Lap, Twin, Queen and King (I want to make this one next!)

As a bit of a math geek I’m totally intrigued by the geometry of how the shapes combine. The image above shows the different shapes that can be cut from the ruler, inside the instruction packet are lots of examples of how the shapes can be used individually or combined to make bigger units. Absolutely fascinating thinking about the design possibilities. Julie is a very smart girl. I’m predicting the Hex N More is the next big thing.

Happy Weekend Sewing! xo Kathy

14 Responses to Candy Dish Using the Hex N More Ruler from Jaybird Quilts
  1. Rachel at Stitched in Color
    August 10, 2012 | 5:51 pm

Woa, Kathy, that is super smart. The color coding really seals the deal because I’m not clever enough alone to realize how many ways it can be useful. Going on my wish list!

Also, received my package today. Journal covers coming up! Thanks for the Kona card!!!

• Kathy
      August 11, 2012 | 9:35 pm

Ha, I needed that color coding too to realize what it could do. Let’s just say I’ve been cutting quite a few shapes this weekend…

2. Ronda Reed
    August 10, 2012 | 8:45 pm

Just got my ruler in the mail today. WOW!!! I cannot wait to start working with it. Did not get the patterns, but gee, the versatility of this ruler is something that no quilter should be without. A lovely investment! The brochure with directions is excellent–motivating when you see what all this ruler can do for you.

• Kathy
      August 11, 2012 | 9:38 pm

I had the same reaction Ronda, I thought it was cool, grabbed the ruler and the pattern before I left work. After making the pattern I started realizing how many designs could come out of the shapes, endless! Then I took a closer look at the color coded shapes which really got my mind spinning. Thank you for shopping with Pink Chalk and have fun!

3. cindy
    August 10, 2012 | 9:22 pm

Yeah to spending a night sewing! :)

• Kathy
      August 11, 2012 | 9:39 pm

I’m planning to make this a regular habit!

4. Cindy
    August 11, 2012 | 6:28 am

You are making me want one!

• Kathy
      August 11, 2012 | 9:45 pm

This is my first specialty ruler and I’m completely blown away. It could be they’ve always been out there and I’m just now on board – but wow, I’m having a very inspiring time experimenting with the shapes.

5. MarciaW
    August 12, 2012 | 12:21 pm

this looks like a cool tool

6. simone
    August 13, 2012 | 8:02 am

Wishlist!!!

7. simone
    August 14, 2012 | 1:22 am

Okay, I just ordered it, with the Candy Dish pattern. I’m so looking forward to it (o:

• Kathy
      August 14, 2012 | 6:55 pm

Thank you Simone, we shipped today too! Can’t wait to see what you create.

8. Deb
    August 15, 2012 | 8:38 pm

The candy dish is such a cute pattern, I must have it! Also ordered the ruler, make my sewing life fun. Kathy I am very happy to see the Aug. charming solids is MoMo Oh deer. THANKS! Keep up the great work.

9. Chara Michele
    August 17, 2012 | 2:16 pm

What a neat tool! Definitely going to add this to my list next time I buy some more fabric from your shop :)