Where I Sew Month 2012

Where we create can be just as much fun to plan, organize and dream about as What we plan to make there! This is the spirit behind Where I Sew month here on the Pink Chalk Studio blog.

During July we’ll be taking a virtual tour and sharing a peek at the sewing spaces of some of our favorite designers and sewing enthusiasts. Real spaces where real people sew. This year’s line up of contributors will knock your socks off, I’m so excited I can hardly stand it!

To add a little fun to the mix be sure to comment all month long – 50 lucky sewists will win a $20 Pink Chalk Fabrics Gift Certificate to stock their own sewing room stash. Yes, we’re giving away $1,000 worth of fabric, patterns and notions! The more you comment the better your odds.

Links to featured posts (will be updated as the month rolls along):

7/2/12 – Ellen Luckett Baker of The Long Thread

7/15/12 – Cori Dantini

7/16/12 – Violet Craft

7/17/12 – Jamie Christina

7/18/12 – Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie

7/19/12 – Lynne Goldsworthy of Lily’s Quilts + Fat Quarterly

7/20/12 – Sweetwater

7/21/12 – Vanessa Christenson of V + Co.

7/22/12 – Katy Jones of I’m a Ginger Monkey + Fat Quarterly

7/23/12 – Marny Buck of Modern Quilt Relish

7/24/12 – Jill Guffy of Modern Quilt Relish

7/25/12 – Jenny Pedigo of Sew Kind of Wonderful

7/26/12 – Michelle Engel Bencsko of Cloud9 Fabrics

7/27/12 – Laurie Wisbrun

7/28/12 – John Adams of Quilt Dad + Fat Quarterly

7/29/12 – Rashida Coleman-Hale

7/30/12 – Shea Henderson of Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio

7/31/12 – Elizabeth Hartman

And, of course, the tour wouldn’t be complete without a stop at your house! See instructions below on how to add your sewing room to the mosaic. Let’s go!

How to add your picture to the mosaic:

• Press the ‘Add Your Link’ button at the bottom of the mosaic.
  • Enter a URL. This can be a blog post where you’ve given us a tour of your sewing room or a link to a photo of your sewing space on Flickr or a Picasa album (Facebook doesn’t seem to want to work!).
  • You’ll then select a specific picture from that source to appear in the Where I Sew mosaic.
  • Don’t worry about messing up. You can always remove it and do it again!

Grab a button:

Pink Chalk Studio

Troubleshooting this code: if you do not see the button appear after you cut and paste the code, your browser may have turned the straight quotes into curly quotes. Be sure they’re all straight.

96 Responses to Where I Sew Month 2012
  1. Elizabeth Johnson
    July 3, 2012 | 8:48 pm

I think I will link my little messy area! I cannot believe all the beautiful areas! Am I the only one who creates in a mess? I bet not? Come on I don’t want to be the only one.

2. Jayme C
    July 3, 2012 | 9:33 pm

Oooo fun!!! I can’t wait to link up!! Thanks!!

3. Julie A.
    July 4, 2012 | 1:22 am

I love looking at other’s sewing areas — I can always find new ideas on getting organized.

4. Rhonda
    July 4, 2012 | 2:09 am

What a great idea! I am just starting to sew and am in the process of setting up my own creative space. So I am looking for ideas on how to setup. Look forward to seeing everyone’s sewing area.

5. Joan Mulry
    July 4, 2012 | 5:47 am

Inspiring! Now to get busy creating a space. Thanks, everyone, for sharing!

6. Jill
    July 4, 2012 | 6:38 am

How fun getting a chance to peek into everyone’s sewing spaces. It’s giving me great organization ideas. Thanks for creating this link up!

7. Lyn M
    July 4, 2012 | 6:53 am

I love this idea. So many beautiful rooms.
    Thanks for doing this.

8. Nouveau Stitch
    July 4, 2012 | 8:47 am

Thanks for organizing this! I love looking at others’ work areas. I’m lucky enough to have a space of my own these days now that the kids are on their own, but back in the day my first sewing “room” was a converted closet with bi-fold doors! I’ve recently added a sixth sewing machine (just in case, one never knows) and am back to designing and sewing samples and prototypes. It’s great to have the time and space to devote to the best pastime of all!

Ellen

9. elle squared
    July 4, 2012 | 9:18 am

Wow—fantastic idea! The only thing that competes with gazing upon/fondling fabric, is peaking into fellow quilter/sewists’ studios. Love seeing stashes, sewing machines, organization, etc. I bit the bullet and linked up—over 300 visits so far! PCS rocks!!

10. Melanie
    July 4, 2012 | 9:26 am

How inspiring! Looking forward to seeing all the wonderful studio spaces.

11. Beth T.
    July 5, 2012 | 1:16 am

Last week my sweetheart said we should get something to put all my fabric in, in our sewing room, rather than have it spilling out of baskets everywhere. (Which started as an attempt to be organized.) I am going to hold off on purchasing anything until I’ve seen the pictures accompanying “Where I Sew” month. Thanks much for this.

12. Julie N
    July 5, 2012 | 4:21 am

My sewing studio is a combination of gently used and new. Right now I am waiting for a new quilt cabinet for my sewing machine. My ideas are all in place in my head and with a little help will easily be realized. Some ideas work and some don’t. Just like a fabric choice, all organization and storage ideas do not work for everyone. Don’t be afraid to try something – then change it.

13. Sarah
    July 5, 2012 | 6:12 am

I like getting ideas from other quilters, where they have their ironing board, where and how they organize their stash, etc. Looking forward to seing all the great ideas!

14. Garilyn
    July 5, 2012 | 8:44 am

I love seeing all the sewing spaces. Mine is still a work in progress and very, very messy/disorganized, though I’m working on it!

15. Laurette
    July 5, 2012 | 9:40 am

I love looking a other creative spaces, keeps me improving mine and helps me feel connected to all the other creative women out there. Thanks for doing this.

16. ann hudson
    July 5, 2012 | 8:35 pm

Great idea, love peeking into others spaces to see what they have and how they have things arranged. I’m getting ready to ‘re-do’ my creative space and need ideas.

17. Susan
    July 7, 2012 | 7:16 am

I really have enjoyed the photo tour of sewing rooms. It has given me more inspiration on how to organize my fabric.

18. Leona
    July 8, 2012 | 10:20 am

Wow!! There are so many beautiful and inspiring sewing spaces!! Thank you for an opportunity to link up and share and learn new ways to unproven my space!!

19. Jackie
    July 9, 2012 | 2:10 am

I love seeing others sewing spaces! Such fun!

20. Maria Kievit
    July 9, 2012 | 11:18 am

Love all the clean sewing rooms. I recently took pics of mine, but it’s not worth linking up. It’s too messy right now, and in need of a major cleaning and overhaul, which hopefully will get done during the next couple of months!

21. Jolene Burt
    July 9, 2012 | 12:33 pm

This was so inspirational. It helped me reorganized my space, make it worthy of being photographed, and be part of this great virtual tour :)

22. Linda
    July 9, 2012 | 2:09 pm

WHAT ABOUT THESE NEAT SEWING AREAS !!!
    PLUS SOME OF YOU HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF FABRIC STASHED! I’M A LITTLE ENVIOUS AS A BEGINNING QUILTER-LOL!

23. Brie
    July 9, 2012 | 4:20 pm

Can’t wait to start organizing my sewing space :)

24. Marsha
    July 10, 2012 | 2:19 pm

One of my blog readers emailed me to tell me about your “Where I Sew” link and told me I should link up. I live in a 36″ fifth wheel travel trailer and quilt in it. I have two sewing machines and make the best use of the space I have. A large number of my friends are also RVers and quilt in their RVS. It’s important for people to know you don’t give up what you like just to do what you love to do.

25. Marilyn
    July 11, 2012 | 7:40 am

This is so much fun to see everyones place. I’m inspired to go clean and organize my space!!

26. Janice @ better off thread
    July 13, 2012 | 10:27 am

I’m DROOLING at all the beautiful spaces, or any specially devoted sewing space. I had to give up my sewing room when my youngest was born and now I use the end of the dining room table. A girl can dream…

27. Debbie Reaves
    July 14, 2012 | 6:33 am

Oh my goodness. My very first link… I just added my craft room re-do. WhooHoo!
    I can’t imagine winning… But it sure would be fun.

Thanks for letting me share my space.

Happy Saturday.

Debbie

28. Curl Up
    July 15, 2012 | 4:12 pm

It is great to look around and to get inspired!

29. Carla G
    July 17, 2012 | 10:51 pm

It’s great to see where other people sew and create! And it also gives me ideas on some things to do to my room to make it work better! Thanks for the tours!! :)

30. Keely Dines
    July 18, 2012 | 8:22 pm

This is fun! Thanks for sharing!

31. Emily B
    July 18, 2012 | 11:42 pm

Some very lovely spaces for sewing! Am i the only one left who still sews at the dining room table?? I have a space upstairs, but it is too far removed from the action of the house, so I end up just setting up at the table so I can still get everything else done too :) Like keeping homework on track & keeping an eye on dinner.

32. jackie
    July 19, 2012 | 5:02 am

When I was a kid my sisters and mom would all gather around the kitchen table. We would try to sneak into the living room but my dad hated when pins that got stuck in the carpet. I’m glad to see that there are other people that have messy sewing rooms, I make messes when I’m creating, leaving the clean up until the end.

33. Heidi
    July 19, 2012 | 7:09 am

Just stumbled upon ‘where I sew month’ from Happy Zombie – so much fun to peer into other people’s creative spaces :)

34. Cindy
    July 19, 2012 | 9:13 am

Wouldn’t it be grand if we could visit in person! Thanks for the inspiration.

35. Kim
    July 19, 2012 | 10:59 am

Love seeing all the creative spaces and getting ideas on how to manage my area of the living room. Great idea!

36. Steffanie
    July 19, 2012 | 6:06 pm

I don’t have just one place I sew! I move my machine all over my small place so I am always in the action!

37. Wendy P
    July 19, 2012 | 8:18 pm

Thanks for the chance to share where I sew! It got me to post to my blog again, which is rare lately!

38. Jennifer Wingard
    July 22, 2012 | 5:11 am

Fun! I’d never had a sewing room, but we finally converted a small walk-in closet into a teeny sewing room.

39. Ginette
    July 23, 2012 | 5:31 am

What a great idea!! I have linked up and can’t wait to check out everyone else’s sewing corners!!

40. Debra Lee
    July 23, 2012 | 6:08 pm

I love seeing all these rooms!

41. Wanda
    July 26, 2012 | 6:30 am

I am enjoying the tour of sewing rooms. I’m surprised how many have their machines facing a wall instead if into the room.

42. Kate
    July 30, 2012 | 12:00 pm

Looking at the mosaic, I have some serious sewing room envy! (not to mention the stashes…)

43. Laurette
    July 31, 2012 | 8:26 am

There have been so many great sewing spaces shown all month long, I really enjoyed looking at each and everyone. I will be very sad when it is over. Thanks for doing this it was so inspirational!

44. Becky
    July 31, 2012 | 1:11 pm

View from the sewing desk at Serendipity Patchwork is amazing! For me, it would be inspiring and distracting all at the same time!