One Yard Wonders Sew Along – Week 6 Projects + Fabrics

Week 6 – Project 14
Hanging Laundry Bag
– designed by Rae Hoekstra page 48

Jacqui selected Amy Butler’s Soul Blossoms Home Decor fabric Trailing Orchid Grass. She’s creating her own binding using Amy Butler Soul Blossoms Temple Doors Fresh Mint.

Publisher Corrections:

Hanging Laundry Bag
Page 48 – 2. Make the Back Flap Opening

Encase the upper raw edge . . . Position the two back pieces, right sides up, so that the lower piece overlaps the upper piece by 4”. Baste together. . .

Week 6 – Project 15
Granny’s Clothespin Apron
– designed by Elorie Bechtel  pg 51

Diana selected three fabrics from the new Kate Spain Central Park Collection: Trefoil Aqua, Hernshead Yellow and Cobblestone Aqua. Diana loves to collect sea glass and was inspired by the amazing colors in Central Park.

Publisher Corrections:

Granny’s Clothespin Apron
Page 51 – 1. Measure, Mark, and Cut

Waistband: 17 1/2” wide x 5” tall (cut 1 on fold)
Apron trim: 6 1/2” x 1 1/2” (cut 2 on bias)

Page 52 – Step 3: Join the Apron Front and Back

Place the apron front on top of the apron back with both wrong sides facing up, matching the notches at the top edge, and pin in place. Press one long edge of the apron trim 1/2″ to the wrong side. Position the right side of the apron trim on the wrong side of the stacked apron front and back pieces. Raw edges of the apron trim will align with side edge of the stacked apron front and back pieces. Note that the apron trim will overlap the apron front by 1″. Stitch through all layers around the curved edge of the apron, leaving the top notched edge open.

Page 52 – Step 4: Finish the Edges of the Apron

Trim entire seam allowance to 1/4″. Clip to but not through through the seam along the rounded corners to ease fullness. Turn the apron right side out and press curved edges. Fold the apron trim to the front. Press and pin trim in place, ensuring that it covers the trimmed seam allowance. Topstitch around the finished curved edge of apron at 1/2″, making sure to catch the edges of the apron trim. Match notches at top edge of apron and baste in place using a scant 1/4″ seam from pocket edge to pocket edge.

Page 52 – Step 3 illustration

Click here for corrected table/chart PDF

How to participate: One Yard Wonders Sew Along Details

32 Responses to One Yard Wonders Sew Along – Week 6 Projects + Fabrics
  1. Sonia
    February 7, 2011 | 4:22 am

Oh yay I love the clothepin apron, I need one of those, I leave all my pegs on my line (bad habit) I also know a teenage girl who could really use a wash basket. These are great projects.

2. Becky M
    February 7, 2011 | 4:53 am

ohh, can’t wait to see the clothespin apron in Central Park – I love that line!

3. Darcy
    February 7, 2011 | 6:48 am

As much as I love seeing the great projects you guys are making, I almost equally appreciate all the corrections and tips that I’d otherwise have to struggle through on my own! Thanks!

4. Tong
    February 7, 2011 | 6:56 am

love the laundry bag!

5. Kathie L
    February 7, 2011 | 7:06 am

The clothespin apron takes me back to memories of my childhood when my mom and aunt used to hang their wash. Kathie L in Allentown

6. Sequana
    February 7, 2011 | 7:16 am

Someone must have been half asleep when they proofed the apron section. *L* You are performing a great service here, adding all these corrections.

7. Krystina
    February 7, 2011 | 8:28 am

I dusted off my copy of this book this weekend. Time for me to join in! Thanks for the inspiration.

8. Keesia
    February 7, 2011 | 8:29 am

You guys are doing the impossible — making me look forward to Monday mornings! Love seeing your fabric choices each week and reading the reasoning behind them. Thanks for giving us something fun to start off each week!

9. Crystal
    February 7, 2011 | 8:38 am

Beautiful fabric choices, I can’t wait to see the finished projects!

10. Melanie
    February 7, 2011 | 8:38 am

Great choices and the fabrics are lovely.

11. Jenny
    February 7, 2011 | 9:12 am

This sew-along is really fun to read about. But I wonder — are many pattern books this full of errors? Maybe this one has particularly many because it’s so many different authors, but it seems tough for a book designed for beginners to have so many mistakes for a beginner to puzzle out or deal with — likely thinking, all the while, that they must be the one doing it wrong. Is there any word from the publisher about a second edition that would these?

• Carrie
      February 7, 2011 | 11:44 am

It’s a good rule of thumb to check the publishers or designers web-site for corrections. Some Pink Chalk Team members have copies of the first printing and others the second printing of the One Yard Wonders book. We have noticed that some but not all of the corrections have been made on the 2nd printing. Here is a link to the Storey Publishing Corrections page. http://www.storey.com/correct_book.php?isbn=9781603424493
      On books specifically often designers do not have the opportunity to proof read their contribution before the book is published. Errors can be introduced when the pattern is translated into book form. As we do the Sew Along we are committed to letting you know about both published errors and new ones we discover in making the project.

• Beth T.
        February 9, 2011 | 10:24 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I have wondered why designers whose blogs I read, whose attention to detail I’ve witnessed over and over, whose online patterns have been flawless, have errors in their book-bound patterns. Too many hands in, I’d guess.

12. Marcia W.
    February 7, 2011 | 10:08 am

The laundry bag looks neat.

13. Krista - Poppyprint
    February 7, 2011 | 10:25 am

I must make that clothespin apron. Thank you for printing all of those errors (!) b/c I would never have thought to seek out corrections from the editor.

14. Cat
    February 7, 2011 | 11:59 am

Where do the publishers corrections come from. I have come across a couple issues in other books and I have always wondered where they put corrections.

• Kathy
      February 7, 2011 | 4:46 pm

Cat,

Most publishers have a section on their websites where you can find a list of corrections.

Pattern designers and solo book authors should also have corrections posted on their individual websites.

Before I begin a commercial clothing pattern (Vogue, Simplicity, McCalls) I always check out PatternReview.com to see if other sewists have encountered trouble with the pattern. It saves a lot of headaches!

I also like to Google a pattern name along with the word ‘review’ before I make anything. It yields examples of the finished project and gives me a heads up on difficulties with the construction so I can be prepared.

xo
      Kathy

15. Darlene
    February 7, 2011 | 12:10 pm

I am going to make that clothes pin apron, I love to hang clothes out. Beautiful fabric choices.

16. Hilary
    February 7, 2011 | 12:37 pm

Wow I think I could actually enjoy doing the laundry wearing that Kate Spain themed apron. It’s a beauty!

17. WandaFish
    February 7, 2011 | 2:39 pm

Oh, I like the look of that laundry bag. I must remember to check back here for corrections if I go ahead and make some projects though! Thanks for the sterling effort :)

18. Crystal
    February 7, 2011 | 9:53 pm

Beautiful Amy Butler fabrics!!!

19. Alison Marie
    February 8, 2011 | 12:33 pm

Wow, all those corrections kinda freaked me out too…..it is very helpful that they are published here, too. I’ve used Pattern Review in the past and I often look patterns up on Flickr to see how they turn out when made and worn by real people, not professional seamstresses and models. Plus Flickr has great comments, too, usually.

20. Marcia Kosturock
    February 9, 2011 | 6:31 am

Oh how cute!

21. Patti Fiffick
    February 9, 2011 | 6:35 am

These projects are so cute and seem really easy. I have to get that book.

22. Rose
    February 9, 2011 | 7:14 am

Love the laundry bag. The clothespin apron brings back memories of my grandma hanging out sheets :-) Thanks for making me smile today!

23. Dana
    February 9, 2011 | 8:24 am

Another great project! I love it!

24. Sara
    February 9, 2011 | 9:51 am

I love that clothespin apron…I will have to make that, it would be great not having to run back and forth to the little sack I keep them in!

25. Lori Morton
    February 9, 2011 | 6:53 pm

Have been “watching” you sew these One Yard Wonders things………….and I HAD to go & buy myself a book!!! LOL

You are soooooooo talented……….hoping I can create a feww of these cool things…even 1/2 as good as you………and I will think I did GREAT!!!! :)

Hugs!!!
    Lori :)

• Kathy
      February 9, 2011 | 11:36 pm

Ha, we hide all the bumps and bruises Lori! Enjoy your projects and be sure to share them with us on the Flickr group.

26. Beth T.
    February 9, 2011 | 10:25 pm

Oh my! I’ve been remembering my grandmother’s clothespin apron and wanting one. Maybe now I’ll go from wanting to making. You are so good at inspiring creativity.

27. Carmit
    February 10, 2011 | 8:07 am

Thank you so much for posting the corrections! How fortunate that I saw this, since I’m starting the clothes pin apron in sewing class on Monday and would have been at a complete loss. This wouldn’t be a far stretch from how I am in general, but that’s neither here nor there.

I’m very excited to have found this blog just as I was embarking on my own sewing adventure. Just finished making the artist brushes case on page 93 and looking forward to tackling more projects from this book.

28. Stephanie
    February 10, 2011 | 2:44 pm

I’m super excited to see the laundry bag!