I arrived home last night from Quilt Market in Pittsburgh. Quite the whirlwind trip. I’ll be sharing pictures all week of the fabulous booths and wonderful people I had the opportunity to meet.
I also brought back a ton of incredible new patterns and fabric samples which I’ll be giving away. A single drawing next Monday. If you leave a comment on any post this week (leave one on each post for more chances to win) you’ll be eligible.
I made these samples out of silk dupioni for the Brewer Booth. I’m going to leave you with that while I go get caught up on all the work I didn’t do for 4 days!
Gather Up Pillow, free pattern coming soon to a blog near you:
And what would samples be without a Mail Sack:
I should have mentioned the pencil sharpener button in the original post. Isn’t that cool?! I saw it on a pencil roll that Holly posted to the Friends of Pink Chalk Studio Flickr Group. I googled for them online and found eBay seller Stelyn Arts that I purchased them from. Yes, they came from the UK, I REALLY needed those buttons. I highly recommend the seller.
To answer some of the questions in the comments on sewing with silk:
Sewing with silk is so easy and fun. I’ve used it a lot in the past but had to back off a bit for pattern writing. Not exactly something you’d want to feature on the cover of a pattern intended for sale in a quilt shop. When Brewer asked me to make some samples for market I was ecstatic. They wanted to highlight the availability of silk dupioni to their wholesale customers with samples from patterns they also distribute. They let me select colors and sent me the yardage.
I generally back the silk with interfacing if the seam is going to have any stress on it. For the pillow design I interfaced the center gathered column because it would have raveled beyond recognition when pulling the basting stitches. I then used a foundation piecing technique for the whole thing. I’ll talk more about that when I post the pattern.
I love how silk adds richness and texture to the patchwork project. I also mixed silk, wool, corduroy and quilting cotton on the patchwork pillow I made for my ASG challenge. I used silk taffeta on that project and backed the silk squares with interfacing before piecing.