Wavy Log Cabin

I started this quilt a couple of weeks ago. Slow but steady has been my progress. There will be 35 blocks. 18 wavy log cabins and 17 16-patch set in a 5 column, 7 row format.

There were a few false starts with my design ‘rules’. Nothing a rotary cutter didn’t solve except for that REALLY ugly 16 patch that made its way to the scrap bin. What was I thinking?

As I was finishing this block I decided it was time for a Wavy Seam Tutorial. I’m thinking that the actual sewing of the seam could use some puffing up Done. I couldn’t take it!
Back to the waves…

25 Responses to Wavy Log Cabin
  1. Megan
    March 20, 2007 | 1:38 pm

Love those waves. Beautiful choice of fabric too. And a tutorial no less! So, when’s that shop coming…?

2. Ashley
    March 20, 2007 | 2:07 pm

Thanks for the tute–now when I sew wobbly lines I’ll just say, “oh, no, that’s one of Kathy’s special wavy seams!” :)

3. Kristin
    March 20, 2007 | 2:27 pm

I’m in love! You’ve included all my quilting favorites: log cabin block, wavy seams, square within a square color scheme, and purple and green together!

4. Mama Urchin
    March 20, 2007 | 2:27 pm

Looks great. I need to get my straight seams before I jump into wavy-on-purpose seams.

5. Kim
    March 20, 2007 | 3:27 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve been using this exact same technique but in the back of my mind I thought I was being bad somehow. Woohoo, confirmation!

6. meg
    March 20, 2007 | 5:41 pm

Oh mama! Thanks so much, Kathy! I’ve been trying to master this without success — no matter what I did, I ended up with a straight seam. (If only my actual straight seams were so cooperative.) Now it’s time to try again — I’m so excited.

7. lindiepindie
    March 20, 2007 | 8:27 pm

Hmmm…I haven’t thought of doing wavy seams before – curves always scare me, you know. But that really doesn’t look so scary. :o ) It makes so much sense, it’s one of those things I can’t believe I didn’t consider myself. Great tutorial. And the block is lovely.

8. Tami
    March 20, 2007 | 8:57 pm

Great tutorial Kathy! Have you ever looked at the Stack the Deck quilts before? I think that you’d like that technique too. Basically you stack a few squares of fabric — 5 or more layers. Then you cut out a log cabin type shape (or something else). Then you randomly mix up the pieces and sew them together. It’s explained much better in Karla Alexander’s books.

I’ve pieced a top using this technique (and I wish that I had your wavy seam tutorial back then … I’m afraid that I stretched out a few of the seams.) It’s on my list to quilt it and get it finished. :-)

9. katrin
    March 21, 2007 | 7:22 am

supercute!
    love your pattern- and color choices, as always :)
    and thanks for the tutorial, i’ll surely be using it when a quilt comes to my mind!

10. Chris
    March 21, 2007 | 12:20 pm

Great tutorial-Thanks!!

11. Jen
    March 21, 2007 | 1:36 pm

That’s gorgeous! I love the color combination!

12. JudyC
    March 21, 2007 | 1:39 pm

Great technique! I used something similar to make a quilt called Pagodas! Works like a charm and pinning actually does make it much harder to do. Lots of starts and stops but you go slow and it all works together in the end to make a fabulous wavy seam!

Fabulous blocks!

13. weirdbunny
    March 21, 2007 | 3:12 pm

This square is made up of the most beautiful colours and patterns, my eye was drawn to it straight away.

14. Sarah
    March 21, 2007 | 3:58 pm

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! So do you cut the first piece wavy before you cut the second to match? Or can you cut them wavy at the same time?

15. Heidi
    March 21, 2007 | 4:44 pm

Please, please, please, tell me what fabrics these are – I love them!

16. Jenny L.
    March 21, 2007 | 7:00 pm

Wow, this is a beauty!

17. stephanie
    March 21, 2007 | 7:47 pm

thank you so much for the tutorial! i love love love the look of the wavey seems and i bought DS’s book just for that pattern! i am feeling much more confident now that i understand it a bit better!
    thanks!!!

18. Emily
    March 21, 2007 | 10:55 pm

Beautiful combination of colors and patterns! I’m not a quilter, but you might have nudged me a bit closer to trying a log cabin pattern for fun for a pillow or bag. My wavy seams aren’t usually intentional, but now I see there’s a method to the madness!

19. Sidney
    March 22, 2007 | 5:43 pm

when I clicked on your site and the picture of the block popped up, it made me gasp out loud at the sheer glory of the color combination and the graphic loveliness of the prints. Thank you for that moment!

20. ms moniker
    March 22, 2007 | 9:52 pm

Another awesome looking quilt! It will be fun to see more of it in the future. Thanks for the tutorial–you’re the best.

21. Julie
    March 23, 2007 | 5:31 am

Lovely wavey log cabin. And I really like your color choices.

Waviness means never having to say you’re sorry…cause it’ll always look right and not so perfect!

great lesson.

22. Administrator
    March 23, 2007 | 9:30 am

To Sarah: I do both. Sometimes the fabric I’m adjoining to already has a ‘wave’ to it so I just cut my new fabric to match it. When I made the Hop, Skip & Jump DS pattern I sometimes cut the wave pattern for both fabrics at the same time!

To Heidi: The center and the outer paisley square are both Kaffe Fassett fabrics. The greens are a Kona cotton chartreuse on the top, Denyse Schmidt line pattern with dark brown leaves on the bottom and the two matching sides are a green with lavender pattern I no longer have the selvedge for.

23. Net
    March 25, 2007 | 12:37 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I was half-way through a log cabin cushion with wavy seams, when I saw your post, your process is much more logical than mine. I’ll have to try your way next time!

24. Trisha
    April 9, 2007 | 11:56 am

This is so beautiful! I have always been weary of doing a quilt because I have always thought the lines had to be so perfect and just right. This inspires me to take a plunge. I don’t know what I was thinking!?

25. stacey
    June 8, 2008 | 6:17 pm

Hey Kathy,

I am making a quilt based on your wavy lines … I would love to see your finished quilt are there any pictures posted anywhere. I am finishing up another quilt before I get back to wavy lines but when I finish I will share a photo …. mine is going to be BIG.

Stacey Traister