Scrappy Oven Mitts

I’ve been wanting to make the oven mitt from Denyse Schmidt’s book ever since I saw all of these fantastic ones on the DS Flickr Group. I started by piecing together the FABULOUS scraps from Amy’s parcel to create fabric sheets. I used one layer of Warm & Natural batting and one layer of Insul-Brite.

I waited until today to post this because I tested the Insul-Brite’s heat reflecting capacity with last night’s dinner. I made this easy and absolutely delicious crab recipe (first one in the article) which required my oven to be at 500 degrees. The potholders did a fine job. I think one more layer of regular batting, which is what Insul-Brite suggests, would have kept my hands from feeling any heat. I just don’t think my sewing machine could handle another layer (x 2 when joining the front to back) so I plan to experiment with single layer potholders instead of mitts.

I made the first mitt using the DS pattern. Since I don’t have hobbitt hands I decided to use an existing mitt I like as the pattern for the second, larger potholder. It fits my large, beautiful hands just perfect.

I also save all of my left over binding strips from quilts I make. This is the first time I’ve used them so I was quite pleased with myself for saving them (translated as: I can now rationalize saving any and all bits of sewing leftovers since I’ve proven that sometimes we do find good uses for these things). Below are a couple of pictures of how I attached the binding to the edge of the mitt.

35 Responses to Scrappy Oven Mitts
  1. Alicia A.
    July 13, 2006 | 3:29 pm

Absolutely adorable. Something new added to my ever-growing list. And the paper underneath is just to die for.

When you do the machine quilting, do you just freehand wing it, or do you draw it off somehow?

2. Desha
    July 13, 2006 | 4:08 pm

Fabulous! I am very new to sewing and I found your blog via a knitting/quilting blog.

These are so great! I have a Denyse Schmidt book on the way here so I hope that I will soon have the pattern. And what a great way to use extra peices. I can never throw scraps away. And now I am rather proud of keeping the binding from my first quilt. lol.

3. Regina
    July 13, 2006 | 5:28 pm

These are awesome! What a great idea- I’m in desperate need for new oven mitts- and they’d make awesome gifts too! See, this is why I keep coming back! You do such great stuff!

4. robinw
    July 13, 2006 | 6:14 pm

Cute! Maybe those would encourage me to cook more instead of sew! I also LOVE the fabric/wallpaper in the background. My name is Robin and that would make a perfect background for my blog heading, if I ever get around to creating one!

Enjoy your blog alot!
    Robin

5. Raesha
    July 13, 2006 | 6:38 pm

I love your site! I found it through Creative Kismet. These potholders are adorable. I am originally from WA – Silverdale to be exact and I love reading your posts and remembering going to places that you mention.

6. K. Anne
    July 13, 2006 | 6:42 pm

Those turned out so well! I am in awe.

7. Siow Chin
    July 13, 2006 | 8:09 pm

I’m a scrap keeper too! How I wish my scraps can be turned into such beautiful projects like yours!

8. Administrator
    July 13, 2006 | 8:31 pm

In response to Alicia: I did not mark these. I will mark if it’s a specific repeating pattern. I use my walking foot A LOT. My regular sewing machine foot tends to be a tad slippery, so for any type of bulk I put the walking foot on. It keeps my stitch nice and even and straight. I don’t mark the lines. I just sew back and forth starting with a cross (one down the middle and then another across the center). This seems to anchor it. I then just start doing a few on either side and then change over to cross ways vs. up and down. I also use safety pins to ‘baste’ the layers so that my bottom fabric doesn’t pucker, even on such a small item as this mitt.

9. Tami
    July 13, 2006 | 9:21 pm

Very cool! Good use of scraps. I just got a bag of scraps from Alicia at Ella Posie and was thinking of using them for a purse – crazy quilt style, or maybe a pillow. But I like your oven mitts. You can never have enough of those. Plus the little sizes can be for your 2 young kitchen helpers. :-)

10. wendy
    July 14, 2006 | 3:52 am

I love those they are wonderful and what a great idea.

11. kirsty
    July 14, 2006 | 4:42 am

Oh those are just the coolest oven mitts ever! I don’t even use oven mitts and I want those :)

12. Willow Caroline
    July 14, 2006 | 7:37 am

Wonderful!! I have tons of scraps I could use up that way! What a great project!

13. Rachel McPhail
    July 14, 2006 | 8:31 am

I love the oven mits. I made pot holders once, but I didn’t add additional batting. Big mistake! The Insul-Brit isn’t enough on its own. You’ve inspired me to try again. I have plenty of scraps of batting.

As for you binding scraps, I have my own matching collection of leftover bindings. Since I make biased bindings, I can’t justify throwing away it when it took so much effort to make in the first place. I’m thrilled to see you’ve find a use for yours.

14. Barbara
    July 14, 2006 | 10:38 am

Wow! The mitts are fabulous, and THANK YOU so much for the tip about the leftover binding. I save all of mine, too. (HA! to dh…)

15. linda
    July 14, 2006 | 10:41 am

Great use of your scraps! And thanks for the tip about the batting. I also have a lot of batting strips left over and this is a perfect project for them.

16. Amy
    July 14, 2006 | 1:47 pm

I love them! The fabric is fantastic :-) . I changed the pattern of the mit a little to when I made mine. I’m in very impressed with how you did the binding — you are so superior! It is a fantastic idea to sew it on before sewing up the mit. It looks way neater. The pom poms DS uses are cute and I did that once but it is pretty silly if the mitt is actually meant to be used, no? I used canvas for the lining and one layer of regular warm&natural batting. They were fine for taking normal stuff out of the oven — but I didn’t try holding it forever or a 500 degrree oven.

Anyway – fantastic as usual!

17. caro
    July 15, 2006 | 7:40 am

Your oven mitts came out fantastic. Aren’t they addictive to make? I hadn’t considered using my leftover binding scraps, but duh! What a great idea!

18. k8tykat
    July 15, 2006 | 8:06 am

great idea to use everything that you have – or have been given *wink*.

19. Clarice
    July 15, 2006 | 11:11 am

Hello I have just found your blog and love it. I have been wanting to make oven mitts. Thanks for the info. by the way I live in WA to. Clarice

20. marcisenders
    July 15, 2006 | 4:08 pm

They are so amazing great job and amazing fabric choices! I wish I could make a pair like that, my quilting skills are soooo sub-par, especially compared to you!

21. JudyC
    July 16, 2006 | 9:58 am

ANother thing to add to the MUST MAKE list. I did find the Insul-Brite very easily the other day and I am ready to make my water bottle holders for hubby and me. I have one mitt from Williams Sonoma and wanted another. Now I can make my OWN!!

Qeustion: which way did you point the shiny side of the insul-brite towards. The inside of the mitt or the outside? I’m thinking pointed to the inside.

22. gina
    July 16, 2006 | 9:00 pm

I am going to post about them on next week one http://www.quiltersbuzz.com..they turned out absolutely too cute-even the hobbit hand one! I linked to your fabulous site as well.
    Thanks for the cool stuff.
    Gina

23. Monica
    July 18, 2006 | 7:05 am

I’m just about to start my DS oven glove… using all my scraps. Feeling very happy too that I can finally use all those ‘bits’ saved for a rainy day!

24. [...] Pink Chalk Studio ” Blog Archive ” Scrappy Oven Mitts [...]

25. sally
    July 25, 2006 | 12:14 am

AMAZING! Love these oven mitts!

26. [...] New oven mitts for my sisters and my mom. Made using my own pattern (larger than the DS version), lined with one layer of Insul Brite and one layer of batting. See my binding technique here. [...]

27. shannon
    January 28, 2007 | 9:56 pm

Thanks for the tip on the binding for the oven mitts. I tried recently making my own version after seeing them in the DS book, and my machine broke trying to go through all the layers. I also had a hard time with trying to put a binding on and then in the end they turned out too small to fit on my hands!! I will definitely give it another try and use this binding technique.

28. moyamahkuda
    March 22, 2007 | 12:15 am

ingeniously done and a wonderful outcome..astonishingly elaborately fantastically beautiful and well done oven mitts!! Thanks for the wonderful tips you so geneously shared with all!!!

January 28, 2009 | 8:00 pm

WOW, these are great. I made them one year ago and had such trouble with the binding that I didn’t think I wanted to make them again. Now, this way of attaching the binding seems MUCH easier. Thansk for sharing.

30. Barbara
    May 8, 2009 | 3:38 pm

You might get around the “too thick for a sewing machine” another way. Just make two mitts, one a little larger than the other and then insert one into the other. You might be able to tack the layers together by hand using a cotton yarn. Nothing’s impossible! lol

31. Lenna Green
    May 13, 2009 | 10:36 pm

Great design, such fun. Thanks for sharing them with us

32. claudia
    September 6, 2010 | 4:55 pm

You’re so clever – attaching the bias trim in this way! You have saved me time and trouble with this idea. Thanks!

33. Too Much Excess! | KCQuilts Blog
    March 24, 2011 | 10:56 am

[...] I may have gotten the pattern from Insul-Bright but this oven mitt was totally inspired by these fabulous scrappy mitts from Pink Chalk [...]